Global Witness seek a consultant to progress our China relevant advocacy work.
About Global Witness
Global Witness is an independent non-governmental and non-profit organisation headquartered in London, working to combat environmental and social harm during exploitation of natural resources around the world. Since being founded in 1993, Global Witness has carried out research on logging, mining, oil, agriculture and climate change; published various case studies; and promoted responsible raw material supply chains, fair international trade, and sustainable management of natural resources.
In China, Global Witness shares information on overseas investment and trade risks; introduces international standards and best practices for the extractive, forestry and rubber industries; and engages with stakeholders including policymakers, think tanks, industrial associations and businesses.
About the consultancy
We are looking for a consultant to develop and deliver aspects of Global Witness’ international policy work. In particular the consultant will focus primarily on the impact of Chinese investments overseas and work with the Chinese government, companies, other organisations as well as assisting with our media output. The consultant will be able to work alongside the Global Witness programmes to influence, evidence and provide recommendations for our China work.
• Develop and implement effective and integrated campaign plans, strategies and tactics related to overall vision, goals and objectives.
• Develop and maintain a strong network of high-level contacts in government, industry, regulatory and NGO sectors.
• Support and cooperate with Global Witness’ other campaign teams on China related advocacy work.
• Conduct research and develop campaign documents on identified China related campaigns.
• Ensure delivery of well written and appropriate content for Global Witness Chinese language communications, including the Global Witness Chinese language website, China Programme Update Newsletter and social media channels.
• Provide supports on campaign related budgeting, finance and fundraising.
• Provide administrative responsibilities for the China-based operations.
The outputs will be confirmed by Global Witness having progressed it’s work within China. At the end of the consultancy, we will require a detailed handover including a progress report, detailed document of relevant contact, media, status of any joint work and the status of our work in China.
The consultant will also provide suggested strategic next steps for our work in China.
The consultant will have experience carrying out high level engagement with Chinese government officials and institutions as well as established contacts with Chinese policymakers.
A good understanding of Chinese overseas trade, investment, aid policies and interests are essential. The consultant will also have an ability to understand and effectively communicate complex policy issues to a range of audiences and an ability to identify opportunities for effective engagement.
The consultant will have excellent written and spoken communication skills, including fluency in English and Mandarin are essential. It’s a plus if the consultant has academic background or experience in public policy, international relation, environmental/economic law, international relations or investment analysis.
Finally, you’ll have solid experience of developing, creating and implementing pro-active media and social media in China.
The consultancy is expected to last one year from commencement.
The deadline for applications is 13 December 2020. If you have any questions please contact [email protected] (subject line: Advisor Consultant). If you wish to be considered for this consultancy, please provide the details below in English. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Expressions of interest in this consultancy should:
• Provide a summary CV (not exceeding 3 pages)
• An application letter which indicates your skills which make this consultancy suitable for you.